About the Music Education Council
The Music Education Council (MEC) acts as a medium for bringing together in a working relationship those organisations and institutions in the United Kingdom involved in music education and music education training, thereby creating a common meeting ground and opportunities for the exchange of information and the promotion of joint or connected activities.
MEC exists to bring together members to debate issues affecting music education, to make representation and to promote appropriate action at local, national, and international level.
Music Education Council: Aims
- to act as the UK’s umbrella body for all organisations and individuals involved with music education.
- to promote and support all aspects of music education.
- to raise public awareness of the nature, purpose, and benefits of music education
- to work actively with central and local government to establish effective structures and to provide adequate funding for all areas of music education.
- to encourage the highest possible quality and standards in music education.
Music Education Council: Objectives
At its heart, MEC is a UK Council that, through its members:
- liaises with and represents member music and music education organisations and individuals with and to all relevant government and statutory bodies
- attends and contributes to all major UK forums, conferences and committees involving music education
- advocates on behalf of music education
- encourages access to all genres of music through inclusive music education for all
- supports representative interest groups responding to current issues involving music and music education
- promotes research in music education, and its impact on policy and practice
- promotes a range of activities to discuss important aspects of music education
- contributes to public debate on music education in the media and to respond to such debates on behalf of member organisations
- contributes to the work of ISME and acts as a UK link for this organisation
Music Education Council: Constitution and Structure
MEC’s constitution provides for a small Trustee Board and a range of advisory groups, through which MEC operates.. The constitution can be found here.
MEC’s work to support the music education sector means we place the highest value on excellence in safeguarding children and vulnerable people. We encourage and support our members in this respect. All MEC members that work directly with children and vulnerable people are required to have an up to date and robust safeguarding policy as part of their acceptance into the membership