What does MEC do? And how does it do it?
MEC performs an important service by being a balanced point of reference and secure source of information for what is going on in the wider music sector beyond the particular interests of an individual or the individual member organisations.
MEC works strategically, tactically and practically. The Council, either centrally or through its members:
- provides a common meeting ground and opportunities for the exchange of information
- arranges events to discuss important aspects of music education
- facilitates collaboration
- promotes research in music education, and its impact on policy and practice
- attends and contributes to major UK forums, conferences and committees
- contributes to public debate and responds to current issues on music education
- advocates on behalf of music education and training
- represents the views of its membership to all relevant government and statutory bodies
- works collaboratively with other national and international organisations to further the cause of music education
- represents UK music education at international events